What’s going on? (6 years cont..)

It’s kind of scary to think that all of this was going on around this time 6 years ago. Anyway, onto the rest of my story…

A lot of the time spent down in X-Ray was a bit of a blur if I’m honest. I’m told we were down in X-Ray for quite a long time. I remember the radiographer on the phone to someone whilst walking in and out the room. (The person on the other end of the phone, I found out later, was actually my consultant – he was directing the radiographer on what pictures he wanted taken at different angles). From what I’m told everyone was a bit shocked at what they were seeing.

The images appearing on the screen seemed to show that my stomach, liver and basically everything else in that area was in the wrong place. The main organs in the wrong place were; my stomach and my liver. My stomach was positioned vertically up my left side of my body and my liver was where my stomach should have been. I reckon I was in the X-Ray department for at least an hour or so. The radiographer was getting as many images as was instructed (by my consultant) and because we were in there so long, and the radiographer was taking a lot of images – a warning light apparently started flashing. This was to say that we were getting near, or had gone over, the limit of radiation that a person should have in one go. In total I had 72 images taken in that room. That number has always stuck with me for some reason. I remember seeing the number on the screen. Another thing that had to be done during the taking of images was moving my NG tube, which I still had. And by this, I don’t mean taking it out and putting a new one in a different nostril or anything, just moving it a bit from the outside so the inside – which was in my stomach – could be seen on the computer/image. I can’t remember exactly why. Maybe because it was getting in the way of important areas in the image?

So anyway, once I had spent my time down at the X-Ray Department Me, my dad, my nurse and the student nurse went back up to the ward. That evening (I think), my soon-to-be new consultant came to see me. He explained what he saw in the scans. Where the stomach and liver was, and various other organs. But the stomach and liver was the main concern. He mentioned an operation – which was suggested previously a couple of months back, but that was only a maybe at that point. Now, it was definite. I needed this operation. And this operation that was needed? It was quite a major procedure. At the time, it didn’t seem that major – I think I was just numb from everything that was going on. I smiled and carried on as per ‘normal’ – genuinely my usual reaction to something that doesn’t quite go right. I think also, because I was quite young, I didn’t quite understand the full meaning of it all. They had to move my organs around – it still doesn’t seem that big of a deal to me if I’m honest. My Dad probably had it explained in a slightly more detailed way than was told to me. Obviously, he didn’t react to it and had the same attitude as me – although that might have been a cover to protect me. We were told that they couldn’t do anything straight away as I was still quite weak and needed to be ‘built-up’ with mainly tube feeds.

The following few days involved; speaking to my consultant and his team, having a procedure done (very minor op to insert a picc line for tpn/drip feeding), resting and the normal obs and blood tests.

Here are some screenshots of a few Facebook posts I uploaded at the time. Excuse my grammar and spelling back then. Some of it is a bit cringy if I’m honest 😂😂. But I’m showing you because, well, they’re quite light hearted and it just shows the sense of humour I had at this time.


Yes, I craved foods in hospital, mainly cheese though….😂^^^^^^

(This was funny, everyone, including the staff were a bit puzzled as to who this ‘Jamie Rickers was. 😂. That was until he actually came to the ward. We knew who he was then!😁😂) By the way – I can’t find the photo unfortunately)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s